Monday, October 17, 2011

Dr. Douchebag, M.D.

So I have not been posting a lot, this is because over the course of the last two weeks I began to have rapidly increasing new symptoms of pregnancy. Whether this just happened randomly or the Vitex pushed me over the edge, I don't know. Last Thursday, 10/13, I gave into my curiosity and took a pregnancy test. It had two lines. I couldn't believe it. In fact I immediately went to my husband, shook him awake, and made him come into the bathroom to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I wasn't.

After that, over the next few days I took 3 more tests, consisting of two different brands and they all had the same fate - I was pregnant. I called my Doctor and made an appointment for today.

Yesterday, I began bleeding. I sort of freaked out, had a huge cry, and assumed the worst. At the urging of my husband and mother I went to the emergency room to get checked out. The first nurse was in bitch mode. I'm sure she sees it all, but she was terribly rude and spoke to me as if everything that came out of my mouth was a lie.

A urine test, 5 blood vials, an ultrasound, a pelvic hand and giant speculum exam later here were my results: My beta was 191, my cervix looked closed, I was having a threatened miscarriage, so I was to go on pelvic rest and come in for blood work in the morning before my doctor's appointment.

I was not feeling confident at this point. How can you? But I knew it wasn't over until it's over so I had to keep going. This morning, I went in for my bloodwork, and then hung out with my mom, until my husband got off work to take me to the official appointment with my OB/GYN.

At right about noon, my phone rings. It's some chick at my doctor's office, the exchange went as follows:
Chick: Is this Rachel?
Me: Yes.
Chick: This is some chick from Dr. Douchebag's office, we got your results back and Dr. Douchebag wanted me to let you know your number has fallen from 191 to 60, so we are calling this a spontaneous miscarriage, I'm sorry."
Me: Oh... okay, that's okay :(
Chick: Is the bleeding and the pain okay?
Me: Yeah... it's okay.
Chick: Well let us know if we can do anything.
Me: Ummm... should I still come to my appointment today?
Chick: No, he said you don't need to."
End.

.....look, maybe I am being sensitive. I could be. But I would hope that if I'm going to be told this over the phone, that at least my doctor could do it. Second... again, maybe I'm crazy, but shouldn't my doctor want to make sure everything is okay? Like an exam, a follow-up... anything? Seriously... anything at all?

So this whole pregnancy thing is over before it really began, but I learned two things. One - I can get pregnant. Two - I need a new Doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment